Monday 14 November 2011

Getting started again

I always used to use a Filofax. For years it ran my life. But then, like many people, I gradually migrated to electronic organisation and put my book away. But the thing is, my technology was increasingly constraining me, not enabling me at all. The steps involved in entering a new contact's details into Outlook or into my iPhone outnumbered many times over the steps involved in just writing them down. Entering an appointment into my calendar took forever compared to jotting it on a simple diary page. And sorting out the various syncing duplicates and errors was a regular headache. All this 'convenience' was getting in the way.

Going back to the book was a real relief. Filofax hadn't changed in my absence; there was no new version to get used to, no patches to download or flaky betas to contend with. It was familiar and worked straight away, the way I wanted it to. I'm not going to give that up again.

5 comments:

terriknits said...

Isn't that the best part about a Filo? You don't have to worry about a software upgrade taking out all of your carefully compiled information!

Laurie said...

Ray I love your new blog! I have included it in my Blogs I Like list on Plannerisms. :)

Ray Blake said...

Thanks, Laurie.

Anita said...

Oh, I definitely agree too :)
My iPod touch is great, but typing on the itty-bitty screen keyboard doesn't compare to scribbling in my filofax. And I spilt some tea on my Malden the other night. The iPod wouldn't have come off so well!

Anonymous said...

Hi Ray
Can I add a hearty 'hear hear' to this?! I also had become constrained by high-tec 'solutions' to time management questions, and I find the ease of access I have to any art of my information system more than outweighs any perceived benefit of electronic solutions. Most of all, my Filofax can't run out of battery, mysteriously erase all my data in the night, or create multiple duplicates of everything when I try to synchronise it!

Like you, I won't be going down that road again.

David

LinkWithin2

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...